Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Real Mexico City Food at Los Antojos

Sure, you won’t run into Britney Spears here. Surely Criss Angel, any B-list celebrity or American Idol contestant won’t be anywhere near this place, but rest assured: Los Antojos is the best Mexico City food I’ve found in Vegas in more than 14 years.

I know my Mexico City food: I grew up there. There might be a few things you have never heard off, but you definitely won’t find any burritos here. Los Antojos is located on Eastern and Sahara (granted, not the best place in town), but it is very much worth a foodie excursion. Although it doesn’t hurt to bring someone who speaks Spanish, the menu is in English, with handy images on the wall so you know what you are eating. The Mexican tortas (basically, Mexican sandwiches) are to die for, and the tacos are prepared here as they should: only a corn tortilla, whichever meat you choose (recommended: al pastor, carnitas, alambre) and some cilantro and onion. There are salsas available on the very simple tables.

A caveat: this is not a place to take a client or impress a date. It’s a tiny place with a walk-up counter and Mexican telenovelas playing on the TV. The owner is an affable chilango (a person from Mexico City), and he truly loves his food. Regardless of the 20-mile drive from my house in Summerlin, I have a feeling this will be one of my new favorites. I briefly considered keeping this place the well-kept secret that it still is, but it’s too good not to be shared.

Los Antojos
2520 S Eastern Ave
Las Vegas, NV
Phone: (702) 457-3505

--By Judy Jenner

1 comment:

Dagmar Jenner said...

Uy, se me hace agua la boca al leer esto!