Sunday, April 12, 2009

Vegas Food Finds Goes to Lake Tahoe: Best Sandwich

On a recent short business trip to Reno, I took some extra time the day after and headed to Lake Tahoe with Rossana, a business partner and friend, and her adorable 7-year-old girl, Allegra. My friend Rossana had lived in Incline Village for a few years, and I was delighted to hear that she had an insider's tip: buying a sandwich in Incline Village, at an unassuming convenience store, and then eating it on a picnic bench on the beach, right next to the lake.

We headed to Grog & Grist (800 Tahoe Blvd., Incline Village, CA), a place I would have probably not stumbled upon myself. On a lazy Sunday, the two employees behind the very well-stocked sandwich counter weren't too thrilled or too quick, but it was worth the wait. I had my all-veggie sandwich (thick wheat bread, full of very fresh veggies, including cucumber, lots of sprouts, tomatoes, lettuce, etc.) right on the beach, on the park bench, as intended. The picture on the right is sans sandwiches -- they were gone too fast. Allegra, not a picky eater at all, really liked her tuna salad sandwich as well.

As much as I love fancy restaurants and white table cloths, I'd take a sandwich on Lake Tahoe, sitting in the sun, talking to a friend and looking out onto the pristine lake any day of the week. Ah, the simple pleasures in life....

--By Judy Jenner

No comments: